The DLSU Green Tennisters’ struggles continued as they were swept by archrival Ateneo last Saturday, February 20, and lost a close 3-2 match against the UST Growling Tigers the following day. Meanwhile, the Lady Tennisters could not maximize their extra day off as they were dealt a 4-1 loss by the UST Growling Tigresses last Sunday, February 21, at the Rizal Memorial Tennis Courts.
The Green Tennisters were just dominated by the Blue Eagles from the onset. With only the team of Qoqo Allian and Hans Assistio managing to win a set, the team could not consistently establish their rhythm on the court. The struggle for every point was also evident as the team was simply outclassed by a better Ateneo side.
Early on against UST, the Green Tennisters looked like they would clinch their first victory in Season 78 after LA Canizares and Kyle Parpan offset Betto Orendain’s three-set loss with consecutive straight-set victories. However, the Alian-Cano and Assistio-Gorospe duos could not snatch the much-needed victory for La Salle. Still winless, the Green Tennisters remain at the bottom of the season standings.
Marinel Rudas was the only La Salle player who was able to clinch a victory over UST, with her straight-set victory over Macy Gonzales having two of the three sets DLSU would win over the Growling Tigers. Ana Atangan nearly gave the Lady Tennisters another victory after taking the second set from UST’s Precian Rivera, but struggled in the final set, losing 6-1. The rest of the Lady Tennisters could not stay at pace with UST, with DLSU falling to 2-5 heading into the final week of the elimination round.
Both teams will play their final elimination round games today versus UP, with the Green Tennisters taking on the Fighting Maroons at 11 am in the Rizal Memorial Tennis Courts. The Lady Tennisters will face the Lady Maroons later on at 12 pm, also in the same venue.
Saturday, February 20
Men’s (vs Ateneo)
- Iy. Canlas d. Arguelles (6-1, 6-0)
- In. Canlas. D. Parpan (6-4, 6-3)
- Gonzales d. Canizares (6-4, 6-0)
- Exconde/Flores d. Cano/Orendain (7-5, 6-3)
- Rivero/Gatdula d. Assistio/Allian (4-6, 6-1, 6-2)
Sunday, February 21
Men’s (vs UST)
- Mosqueda d. Orendain (6-7 (2), 6-0, 6-1)
- Canizares d. Lanzado (7-6 (3), 6-3)
- Parpan d. Suazo (6-3, 6-0)
- Cabuas/Bering d. Cano/Allian (6-2, 3-6, 6-2)
- Cabahug/Patino d. Assistio/Gorospe (6-3, 7-5)
Women’s (vs UST)
- Rivera d. Atangan (4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-1)
- Manduriao d. Aquino (6-4, 6-3)
- Rudas d. M. Gonzales (6-3, 6-3)
- Gonzales/Malinis d. Hitosis/Dizon (6-0, 6-1)
- Gitalan/Milo d. Arandia/Castillo (6-4, 6-3)
*DLSU players in bold