Last July 13, British Council Philippines (BCP) announced that several higher education institutions (HEI) in the country, including DLSU, will be offering postgraduate programs in collaboration with universities from the United Kingdom (UK). The program was made possible with the BCP’s and Commission on Higher Education’s Joint Development of Niche Programmes through Philippines-United Kingdom Linkages.
According to the announcement, the program “aims to upgrade the quality of Philippine higher education by introducing transnational education (TNE) programs.” TNEs are courses provided by educational institutions in one country to students in another country. Some of these include courses that are unavailable in the Philippines, such as food security and disaster risk reduction management.
Through TNEs, Filipino students will have the opportunity to benefit from UK universities’ expertise in several subject matters such as art and design, business and management, science, engineering, law, and finance. Some of the courses may even require students to study in partner UK universities. Once they graduate from the course, students will receive a diploma bearing the names of both the Philippine and UK universities.
Apart from DLSU, the other HEIs that will offer the programs include Ateneo de Manila University, Bicol University, Central Luzon State University, Miriam College, Saint Louis University, Silliman University, University of San Carlos, University of Santo Tomas, and the University of the Philippines.
Currently, the programs currently being developed by the Philippine and UK universities include the following:
- MSc on Big Data and MSc Digital Gaming, between the Ateneo de Manila University and the Queen Mary University of London
- MSc in Sustainable Food Systems between the Bicol University and University of Liverpool
- MSc Food Security between Central Luzon State University and Swansea University
- PhD in Sustainable Food Systems between Central Luzon State University and University of Liverpool
- MSc Computer Science, MSc Data Engineering/Science, MSc Robotics Engineering, and MSc Sport and Exercise Nutrition between De La Salle University and Liverpool Hope University
- PGCert and MA Designing Education between Miriam College and Goldsmiths College, University of London
- MSc in Disaster Risk Reduction Management (Climate Change) between Saint Louis University and Coventry University
- Joint Research and PhD in Tropical Biological Oceanography between Silliman University and Newcastle University
- PhD in Engineering between University of San Carlos and Coventry University
- Master of Arts and Design – Fashion Design between University of San Carlos and Cardiff Metropolitan University
- PhD by Research in Agriculture/Food Security between the University of the Philippines Los Baños and University of Reading
- PhD on Meteorology between University of the Philippines Diliman and University of Reading
- PhD on Architecture between the University of Santo Tomas and University of Reading
- MSc Public Health International between the University of Santo Tomas and University of Leeds
The BCP is the UK’s international organization for cultural relations and educational opportunities. They are currently in over 100 countries, providing international opportunities to several organizations.