Pride—a symbol of protest, liberty, and the undying aspiration for universal acceptance. Despite the Philippines’ having its reputation for being “The Most Gay Friendly Country in Asia” according to Inquirer’s 2013 PH ranks among the most gay-friendly in the world , prejudices are often targeted towards those who exhibit one’s blossoming affection towards the same sex.
Honoring those who continuously fight for their rights and freedoms, ARTSvocacy Journey: PRIDE will wave its banner high from June 22 to 26 . As the second initiative of FAST2019’s ARTSvocacy Journey series, the umbrella project plans to advocate for LGBT+ education and awareness, aiming to destigmatize assumptions about the said community. The week-long project’s advocacy-based activities include:
- PRIDE E-Gallery done by the artists of FAST2019 (June 22 to June 26, 2020),
- Rainbow Timeline and Community Survey, a research-based initiative parading the achievements of the LGBT+ community and the status of LGBT+ individuals in the University (June 23, 2020);
- Iridescence: Journey through Rainbows, a showcase of stories filled with the turbulent struggles and joyous moments from anonymous students (June 24, 2020);
- Discover BaCLA Network, a partnership deal with various LGBT+ organizations to help spread their advocacy (June 25, 2020); and
- E-Forum Alpas, a webinar centering on breaking various stigmas linked to the LGBTQIA+ community (June 26, 2020; 4:30 pm – 7 pm).
Take a journey with us to be loud, be proud, and march to the beat of your own sound. Follow the FAST 2019 Facebook and Twitter pages for updates and announcements.